All about starting a website | Generate Leads using your website | Important factors of a website | As a business owner,Do you know what your website must have?
In this article, you will learn all the aspects of a website that matters the most to a business owner.
I am writing this article,particularly for business owners with limited technical knowledge who wanted to understand the essential factors involved in getting a website build to make aninformed decision for their business website.
If you owned a business and wanted to have a web presence, you will find multiple options with various features and price range to opt from.There are numerous ways to bring your business online, includinga business page on Facebook, Google My Business,business directories, and build a website for your business. In this article, I have mentioned theessential factors for a website.
Heaving a website is very easyand effective these days. Below is the diagram which shows all the essential steps involved in the decision-making of a website.
Each of the above stepsis explained in detail as below
Step1: Buy a domain name.
A Domain or a website name, i.e.,www.abc.com (any name), is generally a name of your business or a brand.
The steps involved in buying a domain name are as below.
- Go to the website from where you can buy a domain name
- Search the name you wanted to buy
- Add to cart if the name is available (You will need to create the account on these websites)
- Complete the purchase
There are many companies through which you can register a domain name. Below are the names of a few companies from where you can buy.
- Gaurish Technologies Private Limited
Below is the screenshot of how the search domain name page looks like for GTPL.
1 – Be careful before making a final purchase (while buying a domain name, these companies always try toupsell you many other services like email, domain protection, etc. you don’t need to purchase these services)
2 – Always buy your domain name using your account. Please do not ask your website development agency to buy it for you; else, you will not have ownership rights on that domain. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
3 –Do not share your user and password with the development agency. You can always delegate your account access with limited privileges of your website account to the developer.
Step2: Buy a hosting, or you can setup your server in your office or home. (Buying hosting is recommended)
Hosting providers play a very crucial role in the effectiveness of your website.
Selecting the right hosting provider is very important to your business. You need to consider a mix of Quality and Cost before finalizing a vendor to host your website.
Any website you purchase needs to be hosted on a server, and the server can be purchased using any hosting provider company, or you can build a server in your home/office. I would recommend using hosting provider’s services because they have dedicated facilities available to maintain the servers and keep them up and running all the time.
Before selecting a hosting, plan you must be aware of the technologies to be used for your website.
- WordPress (Or Any other CMS) or
- Custom Code using Scripts like PHP etc.
Based on the tech, you can finalize which hosting to go with; there are specialized hosting available for different tech speck types.
Before finalizing a hosting provider, it is essential to look into the following parameters.
- Pricing model (Few companies charge a fixed amount for server, and they also charge for bandwidth you use). I would not recommend using such services. Always go by fixed price.
- Up Time of their servers.
- Customer support and response time.
- Backup plans and facilities.
You must select the right hosting as per your business/website needs.
A detailed article on this topic can be found here. Click here to read.
Step3: Setup Cloudflare account (Optional but Recommended)
Setting up Cloudflare is not necessary, but it is crucial. It helps you in many ways. Like
- It protects your website from attacks by hiding your IP address.
- It is a CDN (Content Delivery Network) service; hence, it consumes less of your server’s bandwidth.
- Basic features (which most of the websites would need) are free.
I have posted a detailed article on this topic. Click here to read.
Step4: Backups Configuration (Must be available other Server or Cloud)
Data backups are critical to any business, and at times it can save you from going out of business.
Database and website code isvital for any website or software. Keeping multiple copies of backup readily available at multiple places is extremely important for any business. Every business should have a reliable data backup plan in place as you never know when and what can go wrong. You never know when you might need the backups urgently.
Here is how you should plan your backups.
- Always keep the last seven back-ups of code and database.
- Keep backups at two places minimum. (Always keep a local copy of the backup, which is always handy)
- Make a schedule to review the backup file once a month.
- Do not keep backup on the same server where your code is running.
I had written a detailed article on backup strategies with live examples of how and when it saved my business. Click here to read.
Step5: Setup email services.
Using reliable email services is key to a business. Every hosting provider will provide you the email service included in the hosting package, which you can use. Still, if you are looking for highly reliable email services and are willing to spend a few more extra bucks, nothing is better than G Suite.
- Emails never go to Spam.
- Every other email service accepts emails that were sent from G Suite.
- The spam filter is excellent.
- No downtime I have ever seen since I am using it.
Step6: CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
Customer information is essential for any business. If we accumulate customer information right from the day one of the business then within a couple of months or years, you will have a very strong customer database that can be utilized for all your future marketing campaigns and generate more valid leads.
There are many CRMs available in the market with different price range and functionality, but the best CRM out there in the market is Bitrix24 (With over 6 Million Clientsin 150 countries). All basic features are free, and when you are ready to use its paid featured, then the pricing model is not based on per user. You just need to pay for each company.
I would strongly recommend using a CRM to accumulate all data in CRM instead of in emails.
The best features which any company can utilize in Bitrix24 are
- Contact Us Forms (Create a form and integrate code inthe website, and lead will be added in your CRM)
- All in one business solution (it has modules for Sales, Marketing, Project Management, HR, External Communication, Automation). You just need one software, and that too is available for free.
- You can run email campaigns using Bitrix24.
- Track all your social media campaigns and understand the trends using Dashboard.
I would recommend buying domains from GoDaddy and email services from G Suite as I always prefer using their services for my business (Gaurish Technologies Private Limited), and their services are reliable. More details can be found in this article.Click here to read.